Website Case Study: Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWFund) website
Summary: Specializing in supporting underfunded biomedical science research and early-career scientists, a non-profit foundation with over $600 million in assets needed a refreshed website to communicate with prospective grantees.
Client: Burroughs Wellcome Fund (Research Triangle Park, NC)
Challenge: The Burroughs Wellcome Fund has awarded science grants for nearly 60 years. The organization’s old website was difficult to update and poorly organized, so that its target market (prospective grant recipients) had difficulty finding information on relevant programs. The client wanted to keep the site in the current content management system (CMS), which required creating a new information architecture (IA) and user experience (UX) design that worked with the older CMS.
Solution: My employer (hesketh.com in Raleigh, NC) built the new website with a revamped IA and UX design, with a new theme on top of the site’s existing CMS.
Result: The client has an attractive, well-organized website that makes it easy for grant recipients to find appropriate grant options at-a-glance, and the streamlined design conveys that Burroughs Wellcome Fund is funding cutting-edge research. To minimize content migration time and costs, the client opted to keep the site in the original Preation CMS, rather than moving to a CMS like Drupal or WordPress.
My Role as Project Manager: As the web PM, I managed the website project’s Design phase, including revisions to the information architecture and UX design after my PM predecessor left mid-project. My predecessor at hesketh.com managed kickoff, and (after I moved to a new role at hesketh.com as Operations Manager) my successor managed the project through development and launch.
Project URL: http://www.bwfund.org/