Want to create memorable experiences? It comes down to a few lessons I’ve learned as a volunteer bartender mixing martinis on the Dover Harbor, a non-profit 1930s Pullman railroad car based in Washington, D.C.
Here’s the video from Ignite Raleigh 3 (with some weird music in the first few seconds):
How to Create Your Own Memorable Experiences… for Family, Friends, Customers, or Anyone Else
As I shared at Ignite Raleigh, it all comes down to proper execution in three areas:
- Be exclusive — transparency and openness are important business tools, but if you want to create a memorable experience, be something people want to sneak into.
- Think like a magician — a magician doesn’t reveal all his tricks before the show. Sweat the details, but don’t spoil the magic by showing everything happening behind the curtain.
- Build a network — you can’t do it alone. Whether it’s full-time volunteers or occasional helpers, you get more done when you recruit a team.
How to Learn More… or Become a Volunteer
Want to see more about the Dover Harbor onboard experience? Read my article.
Interested in an upcoming trip? Destinations from Washington, D.C., include New Orleans, Chicago, and Williamsburg. Visit the DCNRHS website for details.
Wondering about the 89-year history of the Dover Harbor? Visit DoverHarbor.com.
Want to become a volunteer crew member? The next hands-on, half-day training session is in Jessup, Maryland (outside D.C.) on March 17, 2012. Visit the Get Involved page and sign up at Facebook to learn more.
See the Dover Harbor Here in the Triangle this Weekend!
Want to see the Dover Harbor right here in the Triangle this weekend? The Amtrak schedule doesn’t allow time for tours but you can see the outside of the 90-foot, 90-ton car for yourself on Sunday, February 19, 2012:
- Raleigh, NC: Visit the Raleigh Amtrak station on Sunday morning at 10:17am, and look for the northbound Carolinian, train 80. The Dover Harbor will be the dark green car behind the last silver Amtrak car.
- Cary, NC: If you’re in Cary, the train’s scheduled for 10:02am.
- Durham, NC: And if you’re in Durham, the train’s scheduled to arrive at 9:42am.
This routing is subject to change, and trains can run several hours late, so call 1-800-USA-RAIL to check status on Train 80 between Durham (DNC) or Cary (CYN) and Raleigh (RGH) for 2/19/2012. And use caution near the tracks — trains are dangerous if you’re not careful.
And the next time you see a train go by, watch for a private railroad car at the end — a colorful reminder about creating your own memorable experiences!
Website and presentation image credits: All images by or courtesy of Karl Sakas.