Advice on how to find a new job in marketing
As the head of recruiting at a web agency and as a former marketing agency hiring manager, I love helping people find the right job! My career advice here focuses on finding marketing jobs in Raleigh and the NC Research Triangle, but the lessons are universal.
ARTICLES: Free Marketing Job-Search Advice
From my experience as a job-seeker and hiring manager, I firmly believe that if you follow these tips, you’ll find a job in marketing faster than the average candidate:
- My favorite networking events and marketing groups in and near Raleigh, NC
- How to find a new job in marketing: 12 tips to get hired
- How to get more interviews: 14 tips from a marketing agency hiring manager
- Seth Godin marketing interview: 3 questions he’s never been asked before
- Are you invisible to recruiters? Take a 5-minute quiz to find your LinkedIn Recruitability Score
- One-hour resume makeover: 10 ways to get more interviews in 60 minutes
- Marketing job search lessons: my top 11 tips as a job-seeker
- What not to say when you apply for a job at an interactive marketing agency
- Help your marketing career by joining the Triangle AMA trade association board
- Nice rejection letters: A job-search unicorn?
- The career ladder has turned into a career trapeze, says marketing cartoonist Tom Fishburne
- We need it great; we don’t need it “by Tuesday,” says AdAge‘s top small-agency head David Baldwin
- Hire people who take their work personally, says marketer Cord Silverstein
- Why you need to keep up with Justin Bieber, says creative director Gregory Ng
Why is this marketing job-search advice relevant to you?
I’ve been on both sides of the fence — as an optimizing job-seeker and as an optimizing hiring manager. In college, I was the guy who started visiting Career Services the September of my freshman year.
Ever since then, people have been asking me for career and job-searching advice. I subscribed to Workforce Management magazine for five years before I actually managed anyone.
In the past few years, I’ve hired or helped hire for at least 10 jobs, and I’ve read at least 500 resumes and cover letters — enough to have some opinions about what works… and what doesn’t work.
We’re hiring web developers, designers, strategists, project managers, and account managers in Raleigh, NC
Are you a web professional in the Research Triangle? My employer in Raleigh typically hires for roles ranging from Digital Account Manager to Web Developer to freelance Drupal Developer.
Founded in 1995, hesketh.com is one of the world’s oldest web design agencies. We specialize in websites for non-profits and social entrepreneurs, ranging from the Girl Scouts to a firm that cleans up oil spills. Visit our jobs page to learn more!