My favorite networking events and marketing groups in the Raleigh area
People often ask me to recommend marketing-related networking and education events in the Raleigh area. If you’re new to the Triangle — or have been here for a while and want to grow as a marketing professional — here’s an all-in-one roundup of my favorites. If you have any additions, please let me know.
Meta-lists: Where to find out what’s going on
- Inside Triangle PR, Marketing and Communications — the definitive list of upcoming Triangle marketing events — plus a professionals-only LinkedIn group – run by Pat O’Neil.
- Triangle Area Career Development Newsletter – newsletter covering marketing and software events, published by Harold Meder.
Triangle marketing organizations where I’m most active:
- Triangle AMA (VP & board member) — American Marketing Association chapter and the largest marketing trade association in the Triangle, with 400+ members, monthly lunch-and-learn events, and members-only Special Interest Groups (SIGs). Not cheap to join, but worth it if you’re committed to your career.
- Refresh the Triangle (past co-organizer) — monthly education and networking events for web professionals (designers, developers, marketers, and more).
- TIMA (volunteer & former board member) — the Triangle Interactive Marketing Association runs monthly events with an interactive marketing focus, plus the annual Internet Summit After-Party.
- Raleigh SEO Meetup (attendee) — monthly educational events on all aspects of search engine optimization, led by Phil Buckley.
- Raleigh AIGA (member) — events with a focus on graphic design and related creative fields, as the Triangle chapter of the professional association for design.
- Ignite Raleigh (attendee & past speaker) — TED-like event where presenters get 5 minutes and 20 auto-advancing slides to tell their stories.
- New Media Leaders (past co-organizer) — open networking events for anyone involved in marketing or media (events on hiatus as of 2012).
Events I’ve attended at least once:
- Orangutan Swing — thought-provoking events, including “improv for ideas” roundtables, focused on sparking great dialogue.
- Creative Mornings RDU — our local edition of the international Creative Mornings group, with a targeted speaker each month and chatting before and after. I like their approach to icebreaker nametags. Follow on Twitter at @Raleigh_CM for the latest event registration info.
- Function Pink — events on front-end development and web design.
- TriDUG (Triangle Drupal Users’ Group) — monthly educational events on the Drupal open-source content management system (CMS).
- Triangle Tweetup – high-attendance social media events, including the annual “Deep-Fried Tweetup” at the NC State Fair every October.
- AAF-RDU (American Advertising Federation) — events with an advertising and marketing focus.
- ProductCamp RTP — occasional “unconference” with a focus on product management and product marketing.
- WAW Triangle (Web Analytics Wednesday) – occasional events on web analytics.
- NCPRSA (Public Relations Society of America, NC Chapter) — events focused on PR and media.
- IABC (International Association of Business Communicators, Triangle Chapter) — events focused on PR and internal communications.
I’m always looking for new opportunities. Any other Triangle marketing organizations or events you’d recommend? Let me know!