People often ask me to recommend marketing-related networking and education events in the Raleigh area. If you’re new to the Triangle — or have been here for a while and want to grow as a marketing professional — here’s an all-in-one roundup of my favorites. If you have any additions, please let me know.
Triangle marketing organizations where I’m most active:
I typically attend most of these at least once a quarter, and I’ve volunteered with many of them.
1) Triangle AMA (2015-2016 President-Elect, 2016-2017 President) — American Marketing Association (AMA) chapter and the largest marketing group between D.C. and Atlanta, with 600+ members, monthly lunch-and-learn events, and several Special Interest Groups (SIGs). Not cheap to join, but well worth it if you’re committed to your marketing career. Membership includes significant discounts for the annual High Five Conference, which I led in 2016.
3) Triangle AdFed (American Advertising Federation, formerly AAF-RDU) — events with an advertising and marketing focus.
4) Refresh the Triangle (speaker & past co-organizer) — monthly education and networking events for web professionals (designers, developers, marketers, and more).
5) Creative Mornings RDU — our local edition of the international Creative Mornings group, with a targeted speaker each month and chatting before and after. I like their approach to icebreaker nametags. For the latest event info, follow on Twitter at @Raleigh_CM or sign up for the email list.
Even more marketing events:
I’m less involved with these groups but have been to past events.
1) Raleigh SEO Meetup (attendee & past sponsor) — free monthly educational events on all aspects of whitehat search engine optimization.
2) Triangle Marketing Club — new group (as of spring 2015) with monthly events on a mix of topics.
3) Girl Develop It RDU — training on development and related topics (including a great UX 101 series!).
5) Function Pink — events on front-end development and web design.
6) TriDUG (Triangle Drupal Users’ Group) — monthly educational events on the Drupal open-source content management system (CMS).
8) NCPRSA (Public Relations Society of America, NC Chapter) — events focused on PR and media.
0) IABC (International Association of Business Communicators, Triangle Chapter) — events focused on PR and internal communications.
These groups have had great events in the past. As far as I know, these groups are “on hiatus” for in-person events as of April 2016.
4) Triangle Tweetup — high-attendance social media events, including the annual “Deep-Fried Tweetup” at the NC State Fair every October (on hiatus as of 2013; re-launched in a new format as of early 2016).
5) WAW Triangle (Web Analytics Wednesday) — occasional events on web analytics (no recent events as of October 2013)
Meta-lists: Where to find out what’s going on
Follow these groups and email lists to get updates on things to do and see.
As of April 2016, these lists are now discontinued:
2) Inside Triangle PR, Marketing and Communications — the definitive monthly list of upcoming Triangle marketing events (plus a LinkedIn group), including email updates, run by Pat O’Neil and Carol Steckbeck. (Note: Updates discontinued in spring 2015.)
I’m always looking for new opportunities. Any other Triangle marketing organizations or events you’d recommend? Let me know!